We are excited to offer a variety of Connections courses, including several new options this year, as well as a choice of three world language options.
This year, course requests are being made directly through PowerSchool. Rising grade 7 students (current sixth-graders) can submit their preferences prior to 11:59 p.m. on Friday, May 11.
If a student misses the request window, he or she will have another opportunity the following week.
Students will receive confirmation of course placement during summer break. If you have any questions as you complete the course request process, please feel free to email, Kasi Turner at email@example.com. If you experience technical issues logging in to the Student/Parent Portal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a username and/or password reset.
One-Semester Only Courses
- Physical Education fosters healthy habits and athletic skills. Students develop strength and coordination by playing a wide variety of collaborative sports and games.
- Audio Production will teach students to mix and master music in both live settings and the recording studio. Both musicians and non-musicians are encouraged to take this course.
- Digital Media explores the impact students can make on our world using technology. Through a project-based approach, learners utilize 3D printing, coding, and virtual reality.
- Vocal Collective is for students who want to take their singing abilities to the next level through a variety of on-campus and off-campus performance opportunities. Students who wish to be in the course should be recommended or auditioned in May or August. Email email@example.com if you’re interested and need more information.
- Grade 7 Visual Art gives students the ability to experiment with visual media while learning elements of art and design principles in a workshop setting.
- Grade 8 Visual Art takes students’ skills to the next level by diving deeper into color theory, elements of art and design principles through exciting projects and experiences.
- Grade 7 Advanced Visual Art is offered in the spring for students who have completed Grade 7 visual art in the fall and want to take their skills even further.
- Grade 8 Advanced Visual Art is offered in the spring for students who have completed Grade 7 visual art in the fall and want to take their skills even further.
- Introduction to Photography Techniques is offered in the spring for Grade 8 students who have completed Grade 8 Visual Art and would like to explore photography techniques such as using pinhole cameras, cyanotypes, screenprint, solar plates, and film.
- Acting/Improv helps students build a great joy and understanding for theatre arts by performing scenes, working with scripts, and developing improv comedy skills.
- Introduction to Dance (Fall only) is for students who are new to dance but interested in learning hip-hop, jazz, and lyrical styles. Students will love this 100-level course that allows them to learn at their own pace and try various styles in a fun and safe environment.
- Advanced Dance (Spring only) is the next step for students who have participated in dance at Mount Vernon or elsewhere that want to take their skills to the next level. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about whether or not you are ready for this course.
- Filmmaking will teach students the fundamentals of shooting, editing and rendering professional quality film. In this course, students will analyze, breakdown, and recreate a scene using professional film equipment.
- Heroes, Villains, and Weirdos of the Bible takes a close look at various Biblical figures, broadening learners’ worldview of people from various backgrounds and exploring what we might learn from them.
- Musical Theater Workshop has 2 instructors who give students the opportunity to act, sing, and dance in a musical that is produced completely in class! Whether students are cast as a principal speaking/singing role, or a featured dancer, this will be a great opportunity to be a part of a musical cast that rehearses entirely during classtime. All ability levels are invited to take the course and students will be cast by the instructors during the first week of class
- World Drumming/Ukulele is an exciting new course that offers students with limited musical background the opportunity to make music in a fun and low-stress environment. Experiment with various types of percussion and world drums as well as improve your ukulele skills. (Ukuleles and drums provided)
Full-Year Course Options
- Concert Band allows students to play more diverse styles of music and have travel opportunities while building musical skills and using various music software/technology.
- String Ensemble gives students the opportunity to continue studying violin, viola, & cello with this supportive ensemble environment for students who want to grow as instrumental musicians.