Throughout Mount Vernon, several students and teachers have been out sick with the flu.
As a reminder, a student must remain home when he/she shows symptoms of or is diagnosed with a contagious disease, such as an elevated temperature (100.2 degrees or higher) or a frequent, uncontrollable cough. Before returning to school, he/she must be fever-free without taking any medication for 24 hours.
If you have not gotten the flu vaccine yet this season, it's not too late!
In addition, the CDC recommends the following to prevent the spread of flu:
- If possible, try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you do get sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth because germs spread this way.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
Click here for more information about the flu.