The Upper School "Bring Your Own" laptop program allows families to independently purchase a laptop that is the right fit for their student. Providing more flexibility for our students and families, this individualized approach to computing also empowers students to select the laptop that best suits their needs in and out of school. This purchase can be made from any store or manufacturer.
The recommended Apple laptops are:
- Intermediate: 12" MacBook or 13" MacBook Air with 8GB RAM
- Advanced: 13" or 15” MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM
The recommended PC laptops are:
- Dell - XPS, Latitude, or Inspiron
- Lenovo - ThinkPad or Yoga
- HP - Elitebook, Envy, or Pavillion
- Microsoft - Surface Book, Surface Laptop, Surface Pro 6 and higher
- LG - Gram
- MSI - All models
The detailed information below is intended to assist you and your family as you select a laptop for your student.
- Base requirements: Intel i5 and higher or AMD Ryzen 2000 and higher, at least 8GB RAM, at least 256GB storage
- Minimum 12” and Maximum 15” screen size
- Capable of connecting to Mount Vernon’s wireless infrastructure (802.11ac or better wireless connectivity compatible with 802.1X RADIUS) (details)
- Battery life of at least 6 hours (actual runtime with normal usage and WiFi connectivity)
- Meets the minimum functionality list for the 21st Century classroom:
- Word Processing
- Internet Browsing
- Reads and Prints Adobe PDFs
- Photo and video editing capabilities
- A desktop Operating System - Windows 10 or Mac OSx 10.14 and higher. ChromeOS/Chromebooks or Linux laptops are not compatible with the School’s learning environment.
- Antivirus Software