The Upper School "Bring Your Own" laptop program allows families to independently purchase a laptop that is the right fit for their student. Providing more flexibility for our students and families, this individualized approach to computing also empowers students to select the laptop that best suits their needs in and out of school. This purchase can be made from any store or manufacturer.
The recommended Apple laptops are:
- Intermediate: 12" MacBook or 13" MacBook Air with 8GB RAM
- Advanced: 13" MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM
For PC we recommend the Business and Ultraportable lines from Lenovo and Dell.
- Lenovo - ThinkPad and Yoga models with 13" or higher screens and at least 8GB RAM
- Dell - Latitude and Inspiron models with 13" or higher screens and at least 8GB RAM
The detailed information below is intended to assist you and your family as you select a laptop for your student.
- Minimum 12” and Maximum 15” screen size
- Capable of connecting to Mount Vernon’s wireless infrastructure (802.11n or better wireless connectivity compatible with WPA2)
- Battery life of at least 4 hours (actual runtime with normal usage and WiFi connectivity)
- Meets the minimum functionality list for the 21st Century classroom:
- Word Processing
- Internet Browsing
- Reads and Prints Adobe PDFs
- Photo and video editing capabilities
- A desktop Operating System - Windows 10 or Mac OS X, not ChromeOS
- Antivirus Software